Diogo Dalot is back at Manchester United and he looks set to play a role this season.
Journalist Fabrizio Romano reported at the weekend that Dalot is considered ‘non-transferable’ and he will stay put.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer showed some faith in Dalot by bringing him off the bench to see out a win away at Wolves on Sunday.
Dalot replaced goalscorer Mason Greenwood in the 89th minute and played out the last few minutes of injury time.
There was time for him to get booked for a foul, and he touched the ball five times.
Just getting back onto the pitch was progress for Dalot. It has been a long time since he played a competitive game for United.
When was Dalot’s last Premier League appearance?
Dalot spent last season out on loan at AC Milan. Before he left last September, he featured in the Carabao Cup win against Brighton.
To find his last Premier League appearance you have to go back even further, before the lockdown.
Dalot’s last league game for United came back on February 2020 away at Chelsea.
Dalot was a late substitute in the 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge in which Anthony Martial and Harry Maguire scored.
After the lockdown, Dalot was frequently overlooked, with Timothy Fosu-Mensah promoted ahead of him. In that stretch he made just one FA Cup appearance in the win over Norwich.
Now Dalot is back in favour, albeit still behind Aaron Wan-Bissaka, with Brandon Williams sent out on loan.
Dalot scored in the pre-season win over Everton and seemed to clinch his role in the squad.
Now he has an opportunity back at United, he has to make sure he seizes it.
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance