Chong, Garner, Laird: Mixed night for Manchester United loan trio
Three of Manchester United’s loanees were in action in the Championship last night.
Tahith Chong, James Garner and Ethan Laird all started for their teams in the evening kick-offs. Here is a look at how all three of them fared…
Chong’s move to Birmingham City has been pretty good so far. Last night was not one of his better games.
Birmingham were beaten at home by league leaders Fulham and went 1-0 down inside the first 10 minutes. They went on to lose 4-1.
Chong played on the right wing and was substituted on 74 minutes, taken off with the score at 3-0, having picked up an earlier booking.
The Dutchman had two shots at goal and created one chance, but was unable to get his side back into the game.
James Garner’s miserable return to Nottingham Forest continued as Chris Hughton’s side suffered yet another defeat.
Forest are rock bottom of the Championship with one draw and six defeats from seven games.
Garner started as Forest hosted Middlesbrough last night, who had not won any of their previous four matches.
Middlesbrough won the game 2-0 with Garner substituted on 66 minutes when the score was 1-0.
Garner had two shots which both missed the target and completed just 61 per cent of his passes.
A managerial change is becoming increasingly certain at Forest after this result.
Ethan Laird started for Swansea City against Millwall and had the best night of all three United loan players.
Laird helped keep a second successive clean sheet as Swansea drew the game 0-0.
The 20-year-old played in his usual right wing-back role and got forward as often as possible to offer an attacking outlet.
Laird attempted one shot, created one chance, completed three dribbles and won four fouls.
This was his sixth appearance of his loan spell and he looks very comfortable playing Championship football. United will be very encouraged by his progress.
Players loaned out by Manchester United for 2021/22
- Nathan Bishop
Mansfield Town (Season long loan)
- Tahith Chong
Birmingham City (Season long loan)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Hull City (Season long loan)
- Facundo Pellistri
Alaves (Season long loan)
- Ethan Galbraith
Doncaster Rovers (Season long loan)
- Dylan Levitt
Dundee United (Season long loan)
- Andreas Pereira
Flamengo (Season long loan)
- James Garner
Nottingham Forest (Season long loan)
- Brandon Williams
Norwich City (Season long loan)
- Ethan Laird
Bournemouth (January to end of season)
- Teden Mengi
Birmingham City (January to end of season)
- Axel Tuanzebe
Napoli (January to end of season)
- Anthony Martial
Sevilla (January to end of season)
- Reece Devine
Walsall (January to end of season)
Rangers (January to end of season)
- Donny van de Beek
Everton (January to end of season)
- Matej Kovar
Burton Albion (January to end of season)
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months