German legend Bastian Schweinsteiger could not help but applaud Paul Pogba’s performance against his country.
Pogba’s former Manchester United teammate sent him a message after France’s 1-0 victory over Germany at Euro 2020.
Schweinsteiger lauded Pogba as a deserving man of the match in Munich.
Pogba helped create France’s goal with a defence splitting pass for Theo Hernandez who crossed the ball in for Mats Hummels to score an own goal.
Pogba and Schweinsteiger briefly crossed over at Manchester United.
Schweinsteiger joined in 2015 under Louis van Gaal, with his best days firmly behind him.
Pogba signed a year later at which point Jose Mourinho had taken over and took a dislike to Schweinsteiger, effectively forcing him out, with the German leaving for MLS in early 2017.
It is clear Schweinsteiger rates Pogba highly and felt France earned their victory.
The Frenchman’s performance also drew praise from Bruno Fernandes and Jesse Lingard on social media.
Germany were lacklustre and clearly lacked a classic Miroslav Klose like goalscorer as their focal point, with Serge Gnabry leading the line.
France are now in a strong position to qualify, with Hungary up next.
Meanwhile Germany must take on Portugal and Bruno Fernandes, who won their opening game against Hungary 3-0, with Cristiano Ronaldo netting twice.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad