'Paul Scholes was right'... United fans react to Liverpool defeat
After Manchester United’s win over Atalanta, former star Paul Scholes was not smiling.
Looking ahead to the game with Liverpool, Scholes warned United were in for a rude awakening.
Scholes told BT Sport that a better team would cause United serious problems.
He said: “If Manchester United were playing a really good team, we could be looking at four or five.”
Scholes was right
It took Liverpool just 45 minutes to score four goals against United.
A totally disastrous first half performance saw Liverpool run riot and United defend like a team of amateurs.
Scholes was criticised by some for his comments in midweek, which saw him choose not to get wrapped up in the emotion of the win.
Was the former United star being too negative, or trying to be controversial?
Scholes’ comments were proved right, with Liverpool netted a fifth after half-time.
United fans streamed out of Old Trafford early, fed up with witnessing one of the worst performances in recent memory.
Supporters on social media praised Scholes’ brutal honesty, which sadly saw his prediction come true in a more vivid and depressing way than anybody imagined.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out
- 'Technical ability is frightening': Teammate raves about player Manchester United let go this summer
- 'It was ready'… Manchester United star visited Real Madrid ahead of potential transfer, says former agent
- Manchester United star has already proved he was right to snub £17m City move, now he must show them
- Manchester United star thrilled to win award he did not know existed
- Opinion: Ten Hag must be considering brave call to start 20-year-old in Manchester derby
- One year since his worst Manchester United moment, 23-year-old is at career high point
- 'He's promised'… Manchester United star's mum says she hopes he signs with former club
- Dutch football expert explains why Antony and Lisandro Martinez could dominate Manchester derby
- Report: Two Manchester United players have not trained fully this week and could now miss the derby
- Roberto Carlos explains why he'd have liked to play alongside two Manchester United stars