Manchester United fans react to Diogo Dalot's performance for Portugal
Despite Joao Cancelo’s starring performance for City in the derby, Portugal felt Diogo Dalot was a better option for them last night.
The Manchester United full-back was selected at left-back ahead of Cancelo in a surprise choice from manager Fernando Santos.
Left-back is a role Dalot has played before, for both United and AC Milan last season.
This season Dalot has not featured much, last starting in United’s narrow in over Villarreal in September, where he did not have the best of performances.
He has played just 28 minutes since, as a substitute in United’s 5-0 home mauling by Liverpool.
A chance to impress
Considering his lack of game time at United, Dalot was fortunate simply to be called up by Portugal, let alone to start.
So this was an important chance for him to impress in a World Cup qualifier away at Ireland.
Dalot was playing as part of a flat back four and while there were a couple of moments where Ireland’s pacy forward Chiedozie Ogbene asked questions of him, he coped fairly well.
His defensive task was made more complicated in the 81st minute when Pepe was sent off for a second booking.
Notably Dalot was able to keep a clean sheet as the game ended 0-0. He made an important headed clearance in injury time as Ireland put a cross in.
In the final minutes Dalot had to defend against former United trainee Will Keane, who came off the bench to make his Ireland debut.
Dalot tried to get forward where he could and created two chances, one more than Bruno Fernandes who was substituted after 74 minutes after a disappointing performance.
Here is a look at how United fan reacted to Dalot’s performance in the draw…
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag
- £35m star's possible Manchester United move spells trouble for two Red Devils stars