Say what you want about Jesse Lingard, if he leaves Manchester United he will be missed by his teammates.
Even though he is barely playing, Lingard remains in good spirits and his happy personality appears to be injecting some much needed positivity around Carrington, especially in light of The Mail‘s recent report casting the squad as a miserable bunch who didn’t like Ralf Rangnick’s training sessions dragging on late.
In a video released by the club on Instagram of Wednesday’s training session, Lingard can be seen sharing a joke with top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldo can be seen absolutely cracking up laughing as Lingard jogs off with a smile on his face.
Good vibes needed
United are actually unbeaten under Ralf Rangnick although for some reason it doesn’t feel that way. United have two wins and a draw in the league from three games, plus a draw in the Champions League.
The wins were achieved with clean sheets too, something United lacked under predecessor Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The problem is, that despite the unbeaten record, United have been playing weak opponents and are yet to score more than one goal in any of the matches.
Supporters hopes were raised during the first 45 minutes against Crystal Palace, where after just a few days training under Rangnick, the team seemed to adopt the manager’s new style and control the game.
Since then it hasn’t happened, perhaps because the players haven’t been applying themselves, possibly because teams are better prepared for Rangnick’s system, or possibly the extended break due to postponements has just broken the team’s momentum.
Ronaldo will hope to inspire United to a win over Burnley on Thursday night in United’s final game of the year and end 2021 on a high.
Will Lingard get a chance?
One reason Jesse Lingard may be in good spirits may be due to the possible chance he could get against Burnley, with Bruno Fernandes out with a suspension.
Lingard is one of the options who could come into replace Fernandes, although Donny van de Beek and Juan Mata are also possible options.
This season has shaped up as a disappointment for Lingard after his impressive loan spell, as he still does not have a Premier League start to his name this season, and neither does Van de Beek.
United have used both players poorly, and Lingard remains a contender to leave in January due to a lack of action.
Despite the lack of football he is full of cheer, as Ronaldo and his United teammates can continue to attest to.
- Manager says Mourinho tried to sign international striker when he was Manchester United boss
- Manchester United caught napping by Prem club's 'game-changing' £33m midfielder deal
- Exclusive: Spanish football expert reacts to Martial deal, whether Sevilla can afford him permanently
- Uruguay manager and South American press react to Facundo Pellistri's debut performance
- Manchester United warned 'extraordinary offer' required to sign midfielder
- Karim Benzema sends message to Manchester United star
- Report: Young Manchester United forward set for medical ahead of imminent loan move
- Manager delighted to sign 'wonderful' Manchester United defensive talent on loan
- Talented Manchester United duo celebrate after making their full international debuts
- Ex Manchester United youngster Josh Harrop looks to relaunch his career at new club
- 10 goal contributions in 5 under-23 games: United have made great decision over wonderkid