Manchester United fans react to Cristiano Ronaldo's performance v Villarreal
When Manchester United perform poorly Cristiano Ronaldo gets the blame. That’s what happens when you are a star player, and Ronaldo knows it comes with the territory.
It is however, almost solely thanks to Ronaldo that Manchester United have qualified for the knockout rounds of the Champions League with a game to spare.
Ronaldo scored the crucial goal against Villarreal to break the deadlock, showing a ruthlessness he lacked against Watford.
This was Ronaldo’s 10th goal since returning to United, and his sixth in five Champions League games.
Ronaldo really has saved United during this Champions League group stage, with late goals and game-turning strikes.
Villarreal will be sick of him, this was his 15th career goal against the Yellow Submarine, who were sunk by his strike, before Jadon Sancho made sure with a late second.
Ronaldo now has 799 goals for club and country
Ronaldo had four shots at goal, two on target, scoring once.
With United keeping a rare clean sheet, the platform was set for Ronaldo to make the difference.
In recent games too much has been asked for United’s forwards, by a defence which has leaked goals at a horrific rate in recent matches.
This was just the third clean sheet all season, albeit against a goal shy Villarreal team.
This helps Ronaldo out, who we forget so easily, is 36-years-old. He is still scoring at a fantastic rate, and is one of this season’s leading Champions League scorers.
United are now into the knockout rounds, and with Ronaldo up front, the team should always have a chance in a two-legged tie.
- Manchester United's 3 best players in 3-2 win against Omonia Nicosia
- Omonia Nicosia manager Neil Lennon praises 'dynamic' Manchester United duo
- 'He's a massive player': Marcus Rashford raves about 'unbelievable' Manchester United teammate
- Paul Scholes instant reaction to Manchester United win v Omonia, praises 'lively' Red Devils star
- 5 things learned as Manchester United beat Omonia Nicosia 3-2
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Omonia Nicosia: Ronaldo starts as Ten Hag makes 3 changes
- Manager and teammate rave about 'brilliant' Manchester United talent who has 3 assists from 9 games
- 'A process': Ten Hag explains plan for 26-year-old Manchester United star
- 2 goals, 7 tackles and 13 duels won: Former Manchester United target produces masterclass
- 29-year-old Manchester United loanee provides assist in manager's last game before getting sacked
- 4-3-3: Predicted Manchester United XI v Omonia Nicosia, 6 changes