Shola Shoretire scored the winning goal for Manchester United’s under-19s team in the UEFA Youth League this week.
Shoretire’s close range goal was enough to secure a 1-0 win over Young Boys to get the under-19s team involvement in the competition off to a strong start.
Shoretire’s goal was his second goal in successive matches, adding to the one assist he already has this season.
The 17-year-old shone in pre-season for Manchester United’s first team, delivering two assists.
His winning goal was congratulated by his teammates on social media, who flocked to his Instagram feed.
Shoretire is quite clearly very widely respected by his peers, and this was illustrated by the further messages from players of rival teams.
Liverpool youngster James Balagazi, Tottenham’s Dane Scarlett, and Birmingham’s Jobe Bellingham were among those to reach out to praise United’s prodigious youngster.
A great opportunity to progress
The UEFA Youth League did not run last season, and the previous year United did not qualify. So this is a great chance for the young players.
Shoretire and co have a good opportunity to build up match experience by playing in the competition.
The teenager is a very bright talent who has the potential to eventually replace Jesse Lingard in United’s first team squad.
Shoretire made his first team debut last season and while United cannot offer him game time right now, the Youth League is a good distraction for him to develop.
He may have an outside shot of making the bench against West Ham in the Carabao Cup next week.
Based on his early season performances at academy level this season, a call-up would be warranted.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice