Charlie McNeill scores first ever Manchester United under-23 goal
Manchester United youngster Charlie McNeill scored his first ever goal for the under-23s in the first game of the season.
McNeill rescued a 2-2 draw against Leicester with an injury time goal to ensure the side shared the points.
McNeill made a name for himself last season by scoring 25 total goals for Manchester United’s under-18s, averaging a league goal every 72 minutes.
He did make two under-23 appearances last season, one as a substitute and one as a starter. This was the first time he had scored for the side, at his third attempt.
McNeill came on as a 68th minute substitute on Sunday, and added to D’Mani Mellor’s initial United goal, connecting with a cross from full-back Alvaro Fernandez to equalise with his left foot.
He almost scored a 94th minute winner too when his late effort flashed inches wide of the bottom corner.
A sign of what is to come
United are well set with strike talent at under-23 level. Joe Hugill was missing on Sunday, which may have enabled McNeill to get his chance.
McNeill though had featured regularly in pre-season for the under-23s and performed well, indicating he will be a prominent player this season.
By the end of last season it was clear he needed a fresh challenge, with under-18s football too easy for him.
At just 17, McNeill looks to be a very promising young striker and this will be the first of many goals he scores for the under-23s this season.
United will be patient with him, but McNeill’s goal has shown he is ready, and there will be a case for him to start against Chelsea next week, while he would love to take on former club Manchester City a week later.
McNeill has set his stall out for the season ahead. Another 20 goal campaign at academy level and talk will start to turn to him making the leap to the first team.
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months
- Manchester United can take real positive signs from Ajax's two award winners
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United
- Photo: 17-year-old FA Youth Cup winner signs first Manchester United contract
- Paul Pogba would be Manchester United's big loser if transfer deal for Champions League winner is sealed
- Ajax star backs Erik ten Hag for trophies at Manchester United in emotional message
- Paul Pogba drops cryptic 'see you soon' message to Paulo Dybala, who is set to leave Juventus
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million
- 5 clubs £40m valued Manchester United man could move to this summer
- Ten Hag issues young player warning after handing debuts to 22nd and 23rd academy players at Ajax