Manchester United’s under-18 side’s season has wrapped up. The team closed out the campaign with a 8-1 victory over Middlesbrough.
Alejandro Garnacho was among the scorers as United’s young team ran riot.
After the victory, Garnacho sent a message expressing how pleased he was to make a positive contribution in his first season at the club.
He also referenced how difficult it is at a young age to leave his life behind and move abroad in pursuit of his dream. Amid the pandemic, it will have been even tougher than normal.
Garnacho rejected an offer to stay at Atletico Madrid and sign with United last summer. It’s a deal which would not be permitted this summer due to Brexit as he is under-18.
Garnacho is still just 16, and finishes the season with 11 under-18 goal contributions, seven goals and four assists, one assist of which came in the FA Youth Cup, from 18 total appearances.
He averaged a goal every 119 minutes of league action, and was the under-18s third highest scorer.
While his goalscoring has been overshadowed by Charlie McNeill, 17, who has 25 goals, Garnacho has still been a useful contributor.
He plays as a left forward, although may develop into a central striker if given an opportunity.
Next season Garnacho could benefit from McNeill and Hoogewerf being promoted to the under-23s, as seems likely.
Garnacho is young enough to spend most of the season with the under-18s again, although it would not be a surprise to see him tested at under-23 level too, next season he might be putting up McNeill-like numbers.
If he feels even more settled off the pitch, then more success will come when he gets a chance on it.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad