Another player linked with a move to the club The Mail report, is Borussia Moenchengladbach attacker Alassane Plea.
Plea has just one year left on his current contract and could cost as little as £15 million.
Recently turning 28, Plea is the opposite end of the scale to young talent Sima.
Plea has scored 12 goals this season and has four assists. Five of those goals came in the Champions League, including a brace against Inter Milan.
Considering his low price, there is a case to consider him as a summer signing.
Rashford would be the winner
Marcus Rashford is the biggest case for signing Alassane Plea. This would be to ease the pressure on the United star.
Plea’s best position is on the left of an attacking three, like Rashford.
A deal could have a similar effect to Rashford as signing Alex Telles has for Luke Shaw. It will cause him to further raise his game, and offer vital cover.
Having Plea available would enable United to use Rashford more sparingly.
Currently he is dealing with shoulder and ankle injuries, and has played 50 club games this season.
United could decrease this by at least 20 per cent by signing Plea, ensuring Rashford is fresher, and increasing cover in case of a long-term injury.
Plea could also add some experience into the attack, which could be vital if Edinson Cavani leaves, although hopefully he will be staying put.
Martial would be a loser from the deal
A move for Plea may not work out so well for Anthony Martial.
Martial has been played out on the left wing at times this season to accommodate Cavani, and rest Rashford a little.
Plea is also able to play as a centre-forward, and when Rashford is fit, could lead the line.
He may not have the prolific record United are looking for as an out and out striker, but he could make Martial expendable if another striker is brought in too.
Getting an alternative to Rashford in could become a squad priority this summer, and Martial could end up losing out in the process if a left-side option like Plea is signed, who can also play in attack.
Send Elanga out on loan
United have a couple of options to provide cover for Marcus Rashford.
One is to pay a small fee of £15 million for a player with experience like Plea who could make a valuable impact for a couple of seasons.
The other approach is to throw young talent Anthony Elanga in, and give him game time.
A move for Plea would enable United to loan Elanga out for a couple of seasons, without rushing him into the first team.
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game
- Fred sends message after winning first Brazil call since 2018
- It is now clear how important Harry Maguire is for Manchester United
- Why Manchester United should keep James Garner close to home after claims of possible foreign loan
- Manchester United should let Charlie McNeill train with Edinson Cavani while he can