Real Madrid are under financial pressure to cash in on Raphael Varane as he enters the last year of his contract. This makes Manchester United’s task to sign him a lot easier.
Where it could get dicey is if recently re-appointed Real boss Carlo Ancelotti insisted on finding a way to keep Varane at all costs.
It does not sound like this will be the case. Ancelotti is happy with his options if Varane leaves, The Mail reports. That is despite already losing Sergio Ramos.
Real’s first two choice defenders would be Eder Militao and David Alaba, recently signed after his Bayern Munich contract expired.
Third choice would be Nacho Fernandez, who played 24 La Liga games last season and recently signed a new deal.
Real would make B-team captain and Spain youth international Victor Chust, 21, their fourth choice. The Mail reports ‘Ancelotti will accept that’, if these four are his options for the 2021/22 season.
Boost for United
With Ancelotti a non-factor in Varane’s situation, the discussions between United and Real Madrid are simply down to senior level between the two clubs, whether a price can be agreed.
Ancelotti could, in theory, make this a lot more difficult by insisting he wants Varane and would be determined to get him to sign a new deal, or even push for Madrid to risk losing him on a free because he considers him so important.
But that’s not the type of manager he is at Real in 2021. Ancelotti has been brought in as a steady pair of hands, one who won’t rock the boat.
Real’s financial situation is healthy compared to Barcelona, but they do not have the funds to pull off a super deal for a Kylian Mbappe as they once may have attempted to do.
They cannot turn their noses up at a £50 million sale of Varane.
United are reportedly making good progress in talks with the players’ representatives. Talks are said to be advanced. United will tie up this end of the deal before submitting a bid to Madrid.
Right now it is looking pretty positive. A couple of months ago United fans all felt that Varane would end up renewing at Real and that the club were being played.
The situation feels different now, like a deal actually may go ahead. Let’s hope we are not being suckered in. If the club can get Varane done then it could be an even more significant acquisition than Sancho.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad