Nemanja Matic produced an encouraging display as Manchester United rolled Everton aside in a 4-0 pre-season win on Saturday.
But Manchester United fans are under no illusions that the player who just turned 33 is not the long term answer for the Red Devils.
United need to sign a truly top class defensive midfielder, and one was on show at Wembley at the weekend.
Wilfred Ndidi played a starring role in Leicester’s 1-0 Community Shield victory over Manchester City.
Ndidi won four tackles and made three interceptions as he helped Leicester’s defence keep a clean sheet, despite Wesley Fofana missing due to injury.
The Nigerian midfielder won seven duels, made two clearances, and made a further eight ball recoveries. It was a midfield masterclass, up against a City side boasting Ilkay Gundogan, Riyad Mahrez and Fernandinho, with Jack Grealish coming off the bench.
Ndidi is an unsung hero in Leicester’s side. But the Foxes value him highly and would no doubt ask for £60 million plus.
Transfer fee would be money well spent
Ndidi is one of the dream midfield signings for United. He is proven in the Premier League, and as he demonstrated at the weekend.
City are the team for United to beat, and while United have done so frequently under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Ndidi’s performance highlighted what he is capable of. Add him into United’s team and his game could reach an even higher level.
Ndidi is the perfect fit for United. He would allow United’s more attacking players to shine, and he could be the player who can provide the balance Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba to thrive, while still balancing out the defensive requirements.
Last season Ndidi led the Premier League with a 3.7 tackles per game average, and was the top performing midfielder with 2.3 interceptions.
Considering Ndidi’s quality, and United’s need, the Leicester midfielder really would be the dream signing right now, and would convince fans that this side is complete enough to win the title.
Champions League football could tempt him too. Whether United are ambitious enough to try and prise him away over the next few weeks, we will have to see.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool
- Six things we learned as Manchester United lose 5-0 to Liverpool