Who is reported United target Gleison Bremer?
Manchester United’s name has been thrown into the mix regarding the future of Brazilian defender Gleison Bremer.
Sportmediaset report United are showing interest in the 23-year-old Serie A star and have sent scouts to watch him in action.
So who is Bremer and what could he offer to United? Should we take the links seriously? Here is a look at what you need to know…
1) Bremer plays for Torino and has done since 2018 when he signed from Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro.
2) The 23-year-old began his career with United’s former youth partner club, Desportivo Brasil.
3) Bremer has an eye for goal, netting four times in 19 matches for Torino this season, two with his head and two with his feet.
4) With United’s alleged desire for a left-footed centre-back, Bremer may not fit; he is right-footed.
5) Bremer was named in WhoScored’s team of the week after his mos recent display in a 1-0 win over Cagliari in which he netted the winner. He also won eight aerial duels and made five interceptions.
What do they say?
A recent report from The Athletic described Bremer as a very strong tackler who is among the best in Europe at dispossessing opponents.
Bremer made his Torino debut against Cristiano Ronaldo in a Turin derby. It could not have been more difficult.
While Juventus won the game, former boss Walter Mazzarri told CalcioNews24: “He has been training very seriously for ten months and in fact made his debut against Juve tonight: in a very difficult stadium, he looked like a veteran.”
We would consider this one to be a long shot for United’s summer plans. United have bought from Torino once before, a so-so deal for Matteo Darmian.
Bremer is uncapped for Brazil which could also cause complications from a work permit perspective.
The positives are that Bremer would come cheap, and is an up and coming player who has a clear fitness history, unlike Eric Bailly – and potential signing Ibrahima Konate.
His average of 2.1 interceptions per game this season would rank him as United’s top defender in this category.
If United decide to spend more of the budget on attacking players, and are willing to backtrack on a desire for a left-footed centre-back, then Bremer could come into the club’s plans.
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag