There is not much happening on the transfer front right now at Manchester United.
That doesn’t mean United fans will naively buy into any old piece of speculation.
A tired old rumour re-appeared under a fresh guise this week when Real Madrid legend Sergio Ramos’ name was connected with United.
Gianluca di Marzio reported Manchester United could decide to get involved in a pursuit of Ramos amid yet another contract wrangle at Real Madrid.
Well of course United could. United could also bring Paul Scholes out of retirement, or we could see Ed Woodward accept a pay cut.
But none of these are actually going to happen and Sergio Ramos will not be signing for United this summer.
‘But isn’t it different this time?’
Ramos is one of the best defenders of his generation. He will turn 35 before the summer transfer window.
He is currently deciding whether or not to renew a deal at Real Madrid or follow Cristiano Ronaldo’s path away from the club for one more adventure elsewhere.
Perhaps he will actually leave, but the odds are that he will end up renewing his contract with Real.
United have been here before, a few times
Many players are linked to United simply as a bargaining chip to strengthen their own positions. Ramos is one of the most famous examples in recent years.
BBC Sport reported United submitted an offer to Real for Ramos back in 2015. He ended up renewing with Real where he has stayed ever since.
There is no doubting Ramos could have a big impact on United’s backline even at the age of 35. He is a winner, and his personality would lift the entire defence.
A partnership of Ramos and Eric Bailly would be a nightmare for forwards, and for referees. But that ship has sailed.
We all know how this particular transfer rumour will end, so don’t get caught up in it. Let’s just skip straight to the part where Ramos signs a new deal at Real Madrid.
- Who is reported Manchester United target Facundo Medina?
- Three reasons for Manchester United to be wary of Fulham
- Anthony Elanga vows ‘I’ll be back’ after injury
- Solskjaer praises Diallo’s training performances once again
- After Phil Neville lands Inter Miami job, son Harvey provides first United u23 assist
- Hannibal Mejbri shows a touch of class in under-23s defeat
- United fans hope Diallo could feature this week after u23 absence
- Three players Manchester United were lucky to avoid in the summer
- United fans react to Anthony Elanga’s impressive under-23 performance