Manchester United supporters are desperately hoping Harry Maguire will be passed fit for the Europa League final, after shipping four goals against Liverpool last week.
There is extra reason to be concerned about the defence, with Villarreal possessing one of Europe’s top scoring centre-forwards.
Gerard Moreno netted again at the weekend as Villarreal beat Sevilla 4-0.
Moreno scored his left-footed strike to follow up a goal scored against Celta Vigo days earlier.
Now his fantastic individual season takes his tally up to 29 goals for the season.
Moreno has 23 goals in 32 La Liga games, and six goals in 11 Europa League matches.
Villarreal have one more La Liga fixture against Real Madrid next weekend before the Europa League final against United.
This is the most prolific season of Moreno’s career, already exceeding the 20 goals he scored in 2019/20. He’s on form ahead of the Europa League final, ominously for United.
More attacking threats
Moreno is not the only threat United will have to deal with. Colombian striker Carlos Bacca scored a hat-trick in Villarreal’s 4-0 win over Sevilla.
Bacca has just been a bit-part player for Villarreal this season, and yet his goal glut against Sevilla was a reminder of the 34-year-old’s quality.
Villarreal have scored just six fewer La Liga goals than Real Madrid this season, with former Barcelona striker Paco Alcacer among their dangermen.
Moreno is the biggest threat, but with Alcacer and Bacca in the ranks, Villarreal possess strikers with differing traits and experience who can hurt United. Bacca himself is a two-time Europa League winner under current Villarreal boss Unai Emery from their time at Sevilla.
All of this makes it so essential that United get the defence fixed for the final, with or without Harry Maguire.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance