Anthony Elanga has signed a new contract at Manchester United, the club has announced.
This comes as a relief, with Elanga’s previous deal being set to expire in the summer of 2022.
Elanga has been a standout prospect in the academy over the past couple of seasons.
He won the Jimmy Murphy Award last season for his performances for the under-18s, and has made the under-23 step up with ease.
This season Elanga was the top scorer at under-23 level with eight goals before suffering a collarbone injury in January.
He is working hard to return and could make his comeback in April.
Elanga’s injury meant he was not in consideration for recent first team call-ups which saw Shola Shoretire and Hannibal Mejbri namechecked by manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
When he gets back to fitness, he might have a chance of catching his young teammates up.
Elanga featured for the first team in the one pre-season game, and so is not far from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s thoughts.
The youngster has rapid pace, and is a great fit for United’s counter attacking football.
What makes him such an intriguing future first team option is United’s need for a fill-in for Marcus Rashford to take the pressure off.
Elanga has a sharp eye for goal and could be the perfect fit, once he is deemed to be ready.
It might take a loan to realise his potential, or he could make an instant jump to the first team.
United have done well to get his contract situation sorted out. That removes any excuse not to speed up his first team involvement, and shows the club see the potential in him. Elanga is too good a player to have risked losing on a free next summer.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool