United loanee Reece Devine impresses on St Johnstone league debut
Manchester United defender Reece Devine has made a positive start on loan at Scottish side St Johnstone.
After agreeing his loan at the start of July, Devine featured prominently in a series of friendly matches for the Scottish Premiership side.
On Saturday he was named as a starter as the Scottish league season got underway.
Devine played as left wing-back as St Johnstone lined up in their usual 3-5-2 formation which saw them finish fifth in the top flight last season.
The Manchester United loanee nearly won the game for his side too. On one of his forward forays he was brought down and won a penalty. Teammate Ali McCann then blazed the spot kick over the bar.
The away game against Ross County ended 0-0. Devine played his part at both ends, keeping a clean sheet.
The United loanee made more clearances than any other player on his team (4), per WhoScored.
Devine also made a joint team-high number of interceptions (3), and made one tackle, also winning two aerial duels. His total of 70 touches was the second highest on the pitch.
The United youngster, 19, was playing his very first competitive loan game, and should be pleased with how he fared.
Galatasaray up next
St Johnstone’s fifth place last season earned them a spot in the Europa League qualifiers. In the draw last week they landed a glamour tie against Turkish giants Galatasaray.
The first leg will be held in ‘Hell’ as Galatasaray fans call it, on Thursday night. However, it is unlikely to feature a raucous crowd due to current restrictions on attendances.
St Johnstone will be underdogs, with Galatasaray dropping into the draw after being eliminated from the Champions League qualifying rounds by PSV Eindhoven last week. Former United loanee Radamel Falcao is in their squad and could feature against Devine.
In the case of probably elimination, St Johnstone and Devine would drop into the Europa Conference League.
- 'Incredible' Manchester United star won't be fully appreciated until he's not there, says national team manager
- 'Played really, really well': Ronaldo pays tribute to Manchester United star's performance at the World Cup
- Manchester United already have the perfect partner for Jude Bellingham
- Photo: 17-year-old signs first professional Manchester United contract
- Former Arsenal man raves about 'very high-level' Manchester United star who will be 'very important' at World Cup
- 'Doesn't get enough credit': Pundit raves about underrated part of Manchester United star's game after World Cup win
- In-form Marcus Rashford embarrasses England defender in Three Lions' latest World Cup training session
- Bruno Fernandes provides two assists in Portugal win as Cristiano Ronaldo makes World Cup history
- Manchester United star shows off new haircut while working hard in gym
- Manchester United 'star' with 'great potential' makes World Cup debut in goalless draw
- World Cup star who claims he was won staggering 49 trophies labels Manchester United star a 'phenomenon'