United loanee Reece Devine impresses on St Johnstone league debut
Manchester United defender Reece Devine has made a positive start on loan at Scottish side St Johnstone.
After agreeing his loan at the start of July, Devine featured prominently in a series of friendly matches for the Scottish Premiership side.
On Saturday he was named as a starter as the Scottish league season got underway.
Devine played as left wing-back as St Johnstone lined up in their usual 3-5-2 formation which saw them finish fifth in the top flight last season.
The Manchester United loanee nearly won the game for his side too. On one of his forward forays he was brought down and won a penalty. Teammate Ali McCann then blazed the spot kick over the bar.
The away game against Ross County ended 0-0. Devine played his part at both ends, keeping a clean sheet.
The United loanee made more clearances than any other player on his team (4), per WhoScored.
Devine also made a joint team-high number of interceptions (3), and made one tackle, also winning two aerial duels. His total of 70 touches was the second highest on the pitch.
The United youngster, 19, was playing his very first competitive loan game, and should be pleased with how he fared.
Galatasaray up next
St Johnstone’s fifth place last season earned them a spot in the Europa League qualifiers. In the draw last week they landed a glamour tie against Turkish giants Galatasaray.
The first leg will be held in ‘Hell’ as Galatasaray fans call it, on Thursday night. However, it is unlikely to feature a raucous crowd due to current restrictions on attendances.
St Johnstone will be underdogs, with Galatasaray dropping into the draw after being eliminated from the Champions League qualifying rounds by PSV Eindhoven last week. Former United loanee Radamel Falcao is in their squad and could feature against Devine.
In the case of probably elimination, St Johnstone and Devine would drop into the Europa Conference League.
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months