Poor Tahith Chong was unable to play a part in Club Brugge’s Europa League campaign last week as he was not registered in the squad.
The good news was that this kept him fresh for the Belgian side’s Monday night game at home to OH Leuven. And it paid off immediately.
Chong was integral to Club Brugge’s 3-0 win, playing a part in the team’s opening two goals.
After just eight minutes Chong provided an assist to put Brugge 1-0 up. Then six minutes before half-time he won a penalty with a quick run into the box which saw him brought down by the goalkeeper.
This was a strong performance from the young Dutchman, who is finding his feet at his second club of the season after a disappointing loan spell at Werder Bremen.
Chong by the numbers
Chong created four chances in Club Brugge’s victory, more than twice as many as any other player on his team.
He was fouled five times in total as OH Leuven struggled to contain him.
Chong was playing on the left wing, although his penalty win came when he drifted over to the right side of the 18-yard box.
Club Brugge are now 25 points clear in first place at the top of the Jupiler Pro League.
Chong has one goal and two assists in three total appearances so far, two of which have been starts.
This was what he needed
Playing and shining for Club Brugge is better for Chong’s development than sitting on Werder Bremen’s bench.
While the Belgian league is an easier standard than the Bundesliga, the point for Chong is to play competitive football regularly and improve. He wasn’t getting that in Germany.
Chong is picking up confidence with his performances and if he continues like this then his loan will have been a very successful one.
- Amad Diallo showed a new side to his game against Real Sociedad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Chelsea
- Who is reported United target Gleison Bremer?
- Eric Bailly says Sergio Ramos is his idol
- Solskjaer says Martial is working very hard to improve
- Can Diogo Dalot play against Manchester United in the Europa League?
- 2 positives and 1 negative from Manchester United drawing Milan
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Solskjaer praises Shoretire as Whiteside reacts to him breaking his record
- United fans react to Axel Tuanzebe’s performance in midfield
- Martial and Greenwood underwhelm on big night to shine
- Solskjaer hopeful of triple injury boost for Chelsea clash
- The 15 teams Manchester United can land in the Europa League draw and when it takes place
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw 0-0 with Real Sociedad
- Eric Bailly says Solskjaer has given him valuable defensive advice
- Mateo Mejia has operation as injury bad luck continues
- United will have to get creative if decision goes against De Gea
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Real Sociedad
- Solskjaer’s comments on Erling Haaland a reminder striker remains an option
- Raphinha to United? It’s too late already