Scott McTominay scored Manchester United’s winning goal in Saturday’s FA Cup win over Watford.
The midfielder’s early header was enough to earn a 1-0 victory. While the ensuing performance was a laboured one, United kept the clean sheet and did enough to move into the next round.
The goal was McTominay’s fourth of the season. This ties him level on goals with Edinson Cavani, and he is just one behind Anthony Martial.
It’s not bad going for the midfielder, who was making his first ever start as United captain on the night.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told the club’s official website he was pleased with McTominay’s goalscoring contribution, and has repeatedly told him he needs to score more.
Solskjaer said: “We’ve always trusted our young men coming through and Scott’s one of them that we really believe has got the DNA of Man United in him, and he knows what it is to be a Man United player.
“Should he be scoring more goals? We’ve said that to him so many times!
“He’s strong, he’s quick, he can leap, [he has] good timing, so he should get more goals.”
McTominay played as a striker for the reserves on a number of occasions when he was coming through, due to the height advantage he had, and his sharpness inside the penalty area.
Nowadays he is more likely to be played in defence than up front, but his predatory header against Watford was a goal a centre-forward would have been proud of.
With United’s strikers struggling to recapture the electric form of last season, getting more goals from midfield is vital.
Bruno Fernandes is the club’s top scorer with 15, and having another midfielder who is chipping in with increasing regularity is useful too.
McTominay scored five goals last season in a campaign hampered by injury and he is close to now surpassing that.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy