Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is cautiously optimistic about the fitness of Edinson Cavani and Anthony Martial.
Both players were absent from United’s travelling squad for the AC Milan game, with Cavani a late scratch.
Marcus Rashford went off at half-time amid fitness concerns, and was replaced by Paul Pogba, who scored the winner.
Solskjaer is optimistic about the fitness of all three players.
The United boss said: “We’ve worked hard, playing a game every three days and now we’ve added Donny, David’s back and hopefully Anthony and Edinson are back soon, so it’s looking bright.”
Solskjaer also told the club website: “Marcus was feeling something. We didn’t want to take any risks. I think he’ll be alright.”
United’s caution paid off, with all three players, with the rest of the squad stepping up.
It would have been nice if Mason Greenwood had added a goal, but he should have some help soon.
Solskjaer’s comments make it sound as though Rashford will be available this Sunday.
More clarity expected over the weekend
Solskjaer will hold a press conference on Friday lunchtime in which he may provide more detail.
However, there probably won’t be too much to come. United will have returned to England in the early hours and will train more intensely on Saturday.
The fitness of Martial, Cavani, and Rashford will likely go down to Sunday, and late fitness tests.
The FA Cup quarter-final is a big game, but it is also the final one before the international break.
So United won’t want to rush any of the players back if they aren’t ready, and may hope they can get excused from travelling to appear for their countries.
It’s good at least that Solskjaer is optimistic. Cavani came close to featuring in this game, so hopefully he will be ready to lead the line against Leicester.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance