Sergio Romero is reportedly expecting to leave United in January
Sergio Romero has said his goodbyes to Manchester United staff, according to the MEN.
They report that Romero is back in his native Argentina and hasn’t been training with United since the turn of the year.
United have given Romero permission to train in his homeland as he expects to seal an exit from the club during the January window.
The report says United would expect Romero back if he fails to engineer an move away.
Marcos Rojo is also back in Argentina and is another who will hope to seal a transfer this month.
Romero’s contract runs out at the end of the season and there has been no suggestion that United will trigger the one-year extension option they have.
The pair apparently have the same agent and will be hoping for a fresh start this month.
Romero should really have left United during the summer.
It was made clear that Dean Henderson was going to return to challenge David de Gea.
And Romero had already been alienated by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s decision to drop him for the Europa League semi-final against Sevilla in July.
Romero has been professional and reliable for United and he should have been rewarded for that with a swift, dignified exit to allow him a greater chance of gametime elsewhere.
There is not a destination named in the report but it’s clear Romero is expecting to leave United this month.
He never let United down and most fans would likely be pleased to see him get the chance to kickstart his career elsewhere.
- 19 passes completed in 79 minutes: Manchester United star is simply not good enough
- 5 reasons Manchester United lost 2-1 to Brighton on opening day of the season
- Erik ten Hag picks out Manchester United star for praise after 2-1 defeat
- Roy Keane blasts Manchester United pre-season 'PR'
- 99 Touches, 15 Recoveries: £46m Manchester United star a bright spot in 2-1 defeat
- 'Perfect club'… Director responds amid 'ongoing' Manchester United attempts for £55m star, it's not good news
- Manchester United talent set to leave on loan after 72 academy appearances
- Ex-Manchester United star comments on De Jong, Arnautovic and 'unacceptable' window as reality hits home
- Erik ten Hag confirms he wants more transfers at Manchester United after opening day defeat