Donny van de Beek’s situation at Manchester United has become a big talking point once again.
Amid hope the new season would be different for the Dutchman, Van de Beek has not played a single minute so far two games in.
Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has commented on the midfielder’s situation and also says the player has not had a fair chance.
Speaking to his Five Youtube channel, Ferdinand said: “Donny van de Beek, he just ain’t gonna get a chance in this team is he? 40 odd million and he ain’t gonna play.”
Asked if he thought Van de Beek was a ‘Solskjaer signing’, Ferdinand said that the responsibility was on the manager to make it work.
He said: “Anyone coming in under Ole is a Ole signing. You give him the credit for he players that do well, you have got to take (criticism).
“You are going to get them wrong, Fergie got some wrong, its inevitable with one or two.
“Van de Beek you don’t know if he’s wrong or right because he doesn’t get the opportunity. That’s the problem.”
The big frustration for United fans is that Van de Beek had showed promise at the end of last season and in pre-season this campaign, but he just does not have Solskjaer’s trust.
There is just one more match before the international break for Van de Beek to get a chance.
But Solskjaer has already managed to make it a talking point, no doubt an unpleasant situation for the player.
Ferdinand criticised Solskjaer’s decision to start Mason Greenwood out wide against Southampton.
Anthony Martial started up front and put in a dismal showing on his first game back.
Ferdinand said: “Mason Greenwood has been arguably our best player since we have come back, he’s come back stronger, fitter, better. So why shift him to out wide to bring in Tony Martial, I don’t understand it.”
Greenwood went on to score United’s equaliser from a move where he drifted inside, while Martial was substituted off after 58 minutes.
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys
- Manchester United's 3 best players against Young Boys
- Robbie Savage's reaction as son Charlie comes on to make Manchester United debut
- 5 things learned as Manchester United draw 1-1 against Young Boys
- Ralf Rangnick sends message to Manchester United's youngsters ahead of Young Boys clash
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Rangnick makes 11 changes
- Zidane Iqbal: The Manchester United teenager with an eye for a spectacular goal
- Has Cristiano Ronaldo ever scored in all six Champions League group games before?
- Charlie Savage: The Manchester United talent who wants to become his own man