Bayern Munich confirmed the signing of RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano last week.
Upamecano was a name Manchester United were linked with, including by the Times back in October.
With his big move being confirmed on the same day United struggled in defence against relegation-battling West Brom, some fans might be wondering why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wasn’t in for him.
A report by ESPN claims that Solskjaer wants a left-footed centre-half in the summer – and Upamecano is right-footed.
Solskjaer apparently feels that a left-footed central defender would add greater balance to his backline.
United don’t have one after Marcos Rojo’s January departure to join Boca Juniors.
That requirement brings reported target Sven Botman at Lille into view a touch more sharply.
The 21-year-old Dutchman is a left-footer who has helped put Christophe Galtier top of Ligue 1, a point ahead of Paris Saint-Germain after 25 games.
Less excitingly, it also helps explain why Aston Villa’s Tyrone Mings is also reportedly on United’s radar.
The quality of the defender has to take precedence over which foot he prefers, of course.
Upamecano has huge potential but his displays in Leipzig’s 5-0 loss to United and midweek 2-0 defeat to Liverpool indicate he is still a player with plenty to learn.
Harry Maguire is currently United’s left centre-half. That’s a role he’s even played in a back three with England so he’s clearly comfortable there.
Rojo’s United career is also a cautionary tale to some degree.
A large part of his appeal to Louis van Gaal was the fact was a left-footer who could play at left-back too.
The way it didn’t work out for Rojo at United underlines that it’s more important to get the right man, even if he is indeed right-footed.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice