Reaction to Jadon Sancho's two-assist performance for England
Manchester United star Jadon Sancho showed his quality at the weekend in England’s win over Andorra.
The winger took advantage of a rare start for the Three Lions and made an instant impact.
Sancho provided two assists, with the first coming after just 17 minutes.
The Manchester United star’s confidence is now brimming and he was praised after the game by Roma star and England teammate Tammy Abraham, who benefitted from one of Sancho’s assists.
Coming into form at the right time
Sancho was showing good signs before the international games, looking lively in his cameo against Everton.
While ‘it’s only Andorra’ is a valid point to make, Sancho just needed a confidence boost and he has got one.
Sancho provided a staggering 19 assists for Borussia Dortmund at all levels last season after a similarly slow start to the campaign.
A video of Jadon Sancho’s assists posted by Manchester United’s twitter feed was also retweeted by club mate Marcus Rashford.
United have a hectic schedule after the international break and a fully firing Sancho could be vital.
Southgate praises Sancho
England boss Gareth Southgate spoke with cautious optimism about Sancho after the win.
The Three Lions manager told Sky Sports: “It was not easy for a winger in the game because quite often you are receiving the ball with two, sometimes three, defenders really close.
“So you’ve got to pick the right moment to set the ball off and the right moments to back yourself to maybe take one or two of those players out and I thought he did that exceptionally well a couple of times.”
Southgate added of Sancho’s United start: “We shouldn’t be surprised that for a young player to have such a big change in his life, new league, new club, different style of play, different training regime, back living in Manchester, moving house and everything that’s involved in that, that’s a lot to take in.
“So it’s going to need time but he showed a lot of the qualities that he has [against Andorra] and I know that will come with the club as well.”
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee
- 'New Neymar' is the player Manchester United should be signing this summer
- Picture: De Jong mocked up in Manchester United kit by Spanish press as Red Devils' deal deadline suggested