Predicted Manchester United XI v RB Leipzig
Manchester United’s match with RB Leipzig in the Champions League is a pivotal one. A win would put Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side in control of the group.
For this match it would suit United to change system to a diamond 4-4-2 formation.
Leipzig are a dangerous side capable of building attacks from full-back. If United play a normal 4-2-3-1, we risk getting exposed in the same way Tottenham were able to do to us.
While tempting to select a front three of Anthony Martial, Edinson Cavani and Mason Greenwood, this trio simply would not have the defensive work rate required.
Alex Telles was not present in training on Tuesday and missed the Chelsea game. He is key to making a 3-4-1-2 formation work, and without him, United may stick with a more standard back four.
Selecting a four-man midfield would help United control possession and the tempo of the game, and play to the strengths of the players available.
Breaking down the selection choices
Axel Tuanzebe deserves a recall after a brilliant showing away to PSG. Victor Lindelof was excellent against Chelsea, but could benefit from a rest.
As discussed, Telles may not be available so Luke Shaw will continue at left-back.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka also missed training due to the birth of his child. Brandon Williams was excellent for the under-23s on Friday night at both ends and he deserves a chance to come in.
The four-man midfield would also feature three players in need of games, with Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic and Donny van de Beek starting.
United would be able to rest Bruno Fernandes and bring him off the bench.
Up front Marcus Rashford would also benefit from a rest. Edinson Cavani and Anthony Martial should start, with Mason Greenwood on the bench.
This side would have seven changes from the weekend team which took on Chelsea, but it is still a very strong XI. One which is easily good enough to get all three points.
- 21 direct goal involvements in last 14 games : 23-year-old Manchester United target shines on international stage
- International boss explains why he trialled Manchester United ace in new position and gives verdict on display
- Ralf Rangnick relegated as Austria slump to third defeat in a row
- 'No chance': Manchester United star gutted after 4-1 loss and desperate to avoid relegation
- Barcelona sporting director says Manchester United have made a very good decision
- 'World class': Teammate raves over Manchester United star after 'frighteningly good' international performance
- Manchester United receive a favour as international boss learns same lesson as Ten Hag
- 'Whatever we need': £113m star praises Manchester United ace
- 8 Chances Created: Manchester United star produces masterclass in upset international win