Manchester United’s match with RB Leipzig in the Champions League is a pivotal one. A win would put Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side in control of the group.
For this match it would suit United to change system to a diamond 4-4-2 formation.
Leipzig are a dangerous side capable of building attacks from full-back. If United play a normal 4-2-3-1, we risk getting exposed in the same way Tottenham were able to do to us.
While tempting to select a front three of Anthony Martial, Edinson Cavani and Mason Greenwood, this trio simply would not have the defensive work rate required.
Alex Telles was not present in training on Tuesday and missed the Chelsea game. He is key to making a 3-4-1-2 formation work, and without him, United may stick with a more standard back four.
Selecting a four-man midfield would help United control possession and the tempo of the game, and play to the strengths of the players available.
Breaking down the selection choices
Axel Tuanzebe deserves a recall after a brilliant showing away to PSG. Victor Lindelof was excellent against Chelsea, but could benefit from a rest.
As discussed, Telles may not be available so Luke Shaw will continue at left-back.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka also missed training due to the birth of his child. Brandon Williams was excellent for the under-23s on Friday night at both ends and he deserves a chance to come in.
The four-man midfield would also feature three players in need of games, with Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic and Donny van de Beek starting.
United would be able to rest Bruno Fernandes and bring him off the bench.
Up front Marcus Rashford would also benefit from a rest. Edinson Cavani and Anthony Martial should start, with Mason Greenwood on the bench.
This side would have seven changes from the weekend team which took on Chelsea, but it is still a very strong XI. One which is easily good enough to get all three points.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool