Paul Pogba started the Premier League season in fantastic form to inspire Manchester United’s win over Leeds.
Pogba provided assists for four of United’s five goals, setting up two for Bruno Fernandes, one for Mason Greenwood and one for Fred.
It was not enough to earn some praise from the comically biased Graeme Souness, who told Sky Sports: “We expect that from a 100 million pound man.”
Oddly enough, City’s Jack Grealish failed to get anywhere near Pogba’s tally as he kicked off his season yesterday.
That’s because providing four assists in a single game is a rare feat, very rare.
Pogba not only eclipsed his Premier League assist tally from last season (3), he became the first Manchester United player in the Premier League era to provide four assists in a game.
The Frenchman became one of seven Premier League players to ever to so.
Premier League players to provide four assists in one game
Below is a list of players to reach four assists in a single game, courtesy of CBS Sport.
- Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) 1999
- Jose Reyes (Arsenal) 2006
- Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) 2009
- Emmanuel Adebayor (Tottenham) 2012
- Santi Cazorla (Arsenal) 2013
- Harry Kane (Tottenham) 2020
- Paul Pogba (Manchester United) 2021
Arsenal fans may well look at this list and wish for the past, considering their current predicament. While United’s prolific trophy days may have subsided too, Pogba is providing hope that they may come again.
The way he combined with Bruno Fernandes against Leeds was devastating and if the pair can continue like this during the coming season, there will be many more records being set along the way.
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance