Bruno Fernandes’ Portugal were on the wrong end of a harsh decision at the weekend.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s winner was ruled out after it appeared quite clearly to have crossed the line.
Fernandes posted on social media that he was ‘disillusioned’ by the result, a 2-2 draw with Serbia.
Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic, who has retired from international football, had no sympathy for his teammate.
In a post on Instagram he shared how he has decorated Fernandes’ locker at Carrington with a doctored image of Ronaldo’s ball, not crossing the line.
Matic’s message is meant in good humour and Fernandes will no doubt see the funny side.
Fernandes is due back at Carrington after returning to Manchester after receiving an international suspension.
The United star is finally getting a rest after a hectic schedule. This will be Fernandes’ first seven day break between matches since early November.
Fernandes’ Portugal take on Luxembourg tonight, while Serbia face Azerbaijan.
Matic and Fernandes’ focus can now turn to Manchester United’s next game, a Premier League match at home to Brighton on Sunday.
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news