Bruno Fernandes’ Portugal were on the wrong end of a harsh decision at the weekend.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s winner was ruled out after it appeared quite clearly to have crossed the line.
Fernandes posted on social media that he was ‘disillusioned’ by the result, a 2-2 draw with Serbia.
Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic, who has retired from international football, had no sympathy for his teammate.
In a post on Instagram he shared how he has decorated Fernandes’ locker at Carrington with a doctored image of Ronaldo’s ball, not crossing the line.
Matic’s message is meant in good humour and Fernandes will no doubt see the funny side.
Fernandes is due back at Carrington after returning to Manchester after receiving an international suspension.
The United star is finally getting a rest after a hectic schedule. This will be Fernandes’ first seven day break between matches since early November.
Fernandes’ Portugal take on Luxembourg tonight, while Serbia face Azerbaijan.
Matic and Fernandes’ focus can now turn to Manchester United’s next game, a Premier League match at home to Brighton on Sunday.
- Manchester United in August: Predicting the transfer deals to come
- United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
- Report: Fenerbahce want to sign United midfielder Pereira
- Hull boss McCann delighted to sign Manchester United’s Di’Shon Bernard on loan
- Henderson is excited by United signing Sancho
- United defender Eric Bailly endures mixed day as Ivory Coast exit Olympics
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United