Portugal’s World Cup qualifying game had a very unsatisfying end at the weekend as Cristiano Ronaldo had a goal disallowed in injury time.
The ball clearly looked to have crossed the line, but the goal was not given, meaning Portugal had to settle for a 2-2 draw with Serbia.
They are now preparing for Tuesday night’s match with Luxembourg, without Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes, who is suspended.
MaisFutebol report Fernandes has not travelled with the Portugal team to Luxembourg. He has reportedly been ‘dismissed’ by the coaching staff and has flown back to Manchester.
That’s a positive for United, with Fernandes’ suspension now giving him his first seven day break between matches since early November.
Fernandes posted a message on Instagram after the controversial draw with Serbia, expressing his annoyance at Ronaldo’s goal being ruled out, and his side giving away a two-goal lead.
He wrote: “Disillusioned by not getting the 3 points, but confident that together we can and will do better 🤜🏼🤛🏼 Very sad to not be able to help our team in the next game on the pitch, but I will be one more from the outside cheering for a victory.“
Bruno’s sentiments will be shared by the entire Portugal team, and they will be out to take out their frustrations on Luxembourg.
Now he can refocus his mind on Manchester United, and should have an extra couple of days back in England with his family.
This could be exactly what he needs to get his mind right ahead of United’s next fixture against Brighton on Sunday evening.
Bruno Fernandes is United’s most prolific player in terms of goals and assists this season.
The playmaker has 23 goals this season and 10 assists, leading United on both counts.
The United star is just one behind Mohamed Salah and Harry Kane in the Premier League golden boot race, and a strong end to the season could make him an unlikely winner.
There is a lot to play for in the last nine Premier League games, plus the Europa League.
With Euro 2021 on the horizon too, Fernandes could end this season on a real high.
- Should Solskjaer start Jesse Lingard against Aston Villa and how would he fit in?
- Three players linked with Manchester United transfer moves this week
- Two Manchester United players have turned Cristiano Ronaldo deal from luxury to necessity
- Two Manchester United academy players react after meeting Ronaldo for the first time
- Ethan Laird told to start scoring goals to take his game to the next level
- Aston Villa suffer double injury blow ahead of Manchester United clash
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram