Matic expects Elanga to make the grade at United
Manchester United teenager Anthony Elanga caught the eye in pre-season before injury struck.
Nemanja Matic was one of the senior players to play a full part in the summer preparations, as he did not go to Euro 2020.
That gave him the chance to see Elanga up close, and the Swedish winger has continued to impress at youth level this term.
And Matic told the club website he expects Elanga to make the grade at Old Trafford.
“I’m always happy to help players when they are good lads who want to improve. I can see some of them have great potential and are the future of the club.
“Anthony is one of the young players who respects the players that are older than him and the players that have more experience.
“So I am very happy with the way he improves and the way he is training and playing in games. So I think he is a very important player for us, in the future, as I see him in the first XI in the next upcoming seasons.
“I don’t know what is the secret of the United Academy but, every year, they bring a couple of top players to the first team.”
Elanga has made just one senior appearance this season, a substitute cameo in the 1-0 EFL Cup defeat at the hands of West Ham
United have a host of attacking options but Elanga does have the quality to make the grade in the first team if he gets the right amount of opportunities.
Matic’s comments should give Elanga confidence to keep pushing as we wait to see what January has in store for him.
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season