Anthony Elanga shows Manchester United he needs a loan move
This campaign started with high hopes for Anthony Elanga. The young Swede was the star of pre-season, but saw his chances impacted by a poorly timed injury.
Elanga has made it back into United’s first team set up, but even the sale of Dan James has not aided his chances.
The youngster had a short window to make an impact, with Marcus Rashford out injured. Unfortunately the chances have not been forthcoming, and now Rashford is on the verge of a return.
Elanga was left on the bench for the Carabao Cup and when he did get on, he was deployed at left-back. It wasn’t ideal, and United’s elimination has probably put an end to further chances.
Anthony Martial’s successful performance on the left wing against Everton further dents Elanga’s first team hopes.
Back with the under-23s
While Elanga continues to train with the first team, he has been playing for the under-23s over the past three weeks.
It is not a coincidence that the team’s form has picked up, with Teden Mengi also rejoining the squad to bolster the defence.
Having failed to win the first four games of the under-23 campaign, United have now won the last three.
Elanga has scored winning goals against Brighton and Everton, also netting in the win over Liverpool at the weekend.
They have been different types of goals too. The strike against Brighton was a penalty he had won after he was fouled inside the box.
The goal against Everton was the culmination of a slick team move from close range, and his strike against Liverpool came from a free-kick.
Elanga provided an assist against Liverpool too in the 3-0 win, making it four goal contributions in three games.
The youngster is in great form as he prepares to head off for another stint with Sweden’s under-21 side.
In his last 14 matches for Manchester United’s first team, competitive and friendly, Sweden’s under-21s, and United’s under-23s, Elanga has scored 12 goals.
His dropping down to the under-23s is a temporary fix though. The impact saw Joe Hugill pushed down to the under-18s, where he scored a hat-trick, at the expense of in-form Manni Norkett, who had netted five in two games before being benched.
United are playing Elanga at under-23 level to boost his development and in case he is called upon for the first team, to ensure he is ready, but it is looking less and less likely.
Loan move needed in January
Elanga finished as top scorer for the under-23s last season. It nudged him closer to the first team, but evidently not close enough.
Three goals in three games upon dropping back down shows that he is now beginning to outgrow this level.
Elanga needs a loan move to progress and United need to find him a club where he can play regularly between January and the end of the season.
United won’t be short of offers. Elanga has traits which teams love in their side and hate defending against, a combination of pace, trickery, and an eye for goal.
Elanga could quite easily secure a Championship loan in 2022 but may be able to land a top flight move, whether in the Premier League or abroad.
If he gets first team opportunities for United between now and then, expect him to take them, but chances are likely going to be minimal. If this situation continues between now and January, Elanga is going to need a loan for his own sake.
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag