Anthony Elanga makes a big impression in a short amount of time
Anthony Elanga looked a little frustrated on the bench before he came on in the 71st minute against West Ham. Watching the team try and fail to score, who can blame him?
Elanga eventually got his chance and made his first appearance of the season for the final 19 minutes against West Ham.
The circumstances were not what he would have hoped for. Elanga came into a side needing a goal, and found himself shunted out to left-back.
It was a little of a waste of his talents considering Anthony Martial was floundering aimlessly up front. Elanga put the effort in to try and impact the game, although United were unable to make the breakthrough.
Elanga actually impressed by helping United keep the scoreline down to prevent West Ham doubling their lead.
Elanga’s pace on show
The 19-year-old was behind play when Jarrod Bowen broke through on goal 35 yards out. Elanga began a good yards behind him and within a couple of second he had closed him down.
Elanga’s pressure forced Bowen to play a mistimed pass and then the equally industrious Bruno Fernandes nipped in to make an interception.
This was a showcase of Elanga’s attributes and what he can bring to the table if given an attacking role.
It is difficult to see when that might be, but Elanga seems to have a real determination about him which Anthony Martial lacks.
The Swede is the type of player you want on the bench because he has the ability to effect games and scare defenders if used properly.
Solskjaer wasted the opportunity to give Elanga a full game and the teenager will have to be patient.
But it was good to see that even in his brief showing, Elanga caught the eye of fans, and hopefully the coaching staff will have been impressed too…
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months
- Manchester United can take real positive signs from Ajax's two award winners
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United