Martial and Greenwood underwhelm on big night to shine
Manchester United’s decision to start Bruno Fernandes was an unpopular one among fans before kick-off, with many frustrated that the Portuguese star was not rested entirely.
What it did do, was give the players around him a little added help. As did bringing on Marcus Rashford as his second half replacement.
Unfortunately Mason Greenwood and Anthony Martial both failed to take advantage.
This was a pressure-free game in which both players could have boosted their paltry goal tallies for the season, which sits at a disappointing 11 combined.
Both Martial and Greenwood are capable of more, combining for 40 between them last season.
This season it just isn’t clicking, and last night was another missed opportunity for them both.
Best shot isn’t good enough right now
One of the criticisms of Martial this season has been a perceived lack of effort. He seemed to be trying here, and it would be harsh to say he didn’t in this one.
But his best shot just wasn’t good enough on the night. He had three shots at goal, of which only one was on target and it was saved.
Greenwood had two attempts, one on target, a stinging effort from the edge of the area.
In their defence, this wasn’t a night where United were particularly incisive in attack or took many risks, and they were often restricted to having pot shots from long range.
Greenwood looked a little frustrated when he came off, as good forwards often do when they fail to score.
Both players have so much more to offer, and neither of them can seem to get out of the rut they are in.
If Edinson Cavani is fit again on Sunday then he will likely be back in the line-up ahead of Martial.
Greenwood has a chance to start, and hopefully he can use the big game at Stamford Bridge to turn his season around.
- Casemiro flight to Manchester, twist in £80m star's future, awful Glazer plan
- Luka Modric reacts as Casemiro move to Manchester United confirmed
- Real Madrid confirm Casemiro sale to Manchester United in emotional statement, and announce tribute plan
- Raphael Varane reacts as Manchester United announce Casemiro deal
- 3 reasons £59.7m Manchester United target is better signing than Frenkie de Jong
- 36-year-old coach sits top of league table having left Manchester United last season
- XI players linked with Manchester United moves this week; featuring left-footed Premier League ace
- 'Really good player': Klopp praises star with no PL starts for Manchester United since May 2021
- 'Here we go': Manchester United have full agreement on Casemiro, says Romano
- 'Really wants the move': £67.6m Player wants to join Manchester United, not giving up, says Romano