A couple of brilliant second-half finishes from Zidane Iqbal and Alejandro Garnacho gave Manchester United U18s a 2-0 victory against Everton in the U18 Premier League North.
The Reds have now won four games from five in the league and sit on 12 points. If they win two games in hand, Neil Ryan’s side will head to the top of the table. That spot is currently occupied by rivals City.
Bjorn Hardley, 17, captained United on Saturday morning. The Dutchman signed from NAC Breda in 2019.
United went into half-time without scoring but Iqbal followed a piece of good footwork with an accurate curling left-footer into the bottom corner to put United ahead.
Zidane Iqbal scores wonder goal to give United win
Iqbal is getting more opportunities in the U18s thanks to Hannibal Mejbri‘s involvement in the U23s. It’s only his second goal for United at this level.
United brought in winger Alejandro Garnacho from Atletico Madrid in the summer. He came off the bench in the 70th-minute to score his first goal for the club’s U18s against Everton.
It was an emphatic finish to complete a counter-attack begun by Logan Pye. The ex-Sunderland defender recently received a call-up to England’s U18 squad.
It’s been a great week for Garnacho, who scored his first goals for United in an U17s match against Wigan in the U18 Premier League Cup.
United U18s could go top of table thanks to games-in-hand
It was a deserved win for Ryan’s team. They had the better of the possession and more shots on target than their opposition. After the first team’s 3-1 win, it’s a hat-trick of victories as United’s U16s also managed a 2-0 win vs Everton.
The U18s play Middlesbrough next weekend before another away game at Stoke City.
- Pellistri and Diallo have versatility to both ultimately start together for United
- Donny van de Beek can prove he is ready for Manchester United superstardom this weekend
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Liverpool
- Solskjaer praises development of full backs Shaw and Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer has reportedly rejected loan bids for van de Beek, Tuanzebe and Williams
- Cavani is finally bringing success to Manchester United’s number 7 shirt
- Loan for Facundo Pellistri can work if it fast-tracks his United success
- Fred’s late battling shows why he is so important to United
- Mark Lawrenson is expecting Manchester United to beat Liverpool
- Amad Diallo’s Manchester United debut is looking more and more likely