Alejandro Garnacho scored two goals this week for Manchester United’s under-17 side, his first since joining the club last month from Atletico Madrid.
The Spanish teenager was part of an under-17 side taking on Wigan in the re-formatted Premier League Cup.
Garnacho scored two goals for United including this thunderbolt of a strike from the edge of the box which left the Latics ‘keeper with no chance.
United lost the game 3-2, a product of holding many eligible players back for the FA Youth Cup game tonight.
Wigan were knocked out of the Youth Cup by United in the quarter-finals.
United are still in the Premier League Cup despite the defeat, with the competition taking place in a group stage format. This was the first game, and Everton and Burnley make up the group.
Garnacho an exciting prospect
Garnacho signed this summer from Atletico, reportedly turning down an offer from Borussia Dortmund in the process, [Marca]
The youngster is said to idolise Cristiano Ronaldo and his stunner of a strike certainly had the hallmarks of many scored by the former United forward.
Garnacho, 16, has made two substitute appearances for the under-18s so far. This was his first competitive academy start, and a two-goal return is pretty impressive.
There is plenty of competition in the under-18s, with Charlie McNeill and Joe Hugill signing this summer, and Dillon Hoogewerf, Mateo Mejia and Noam Emeran all signing in 2019.
With United’s first team strikeforce packed with goals too, there is plenty of reason to be optimistic right now about the future.
- Mike Phelan reacts to United’s derby win
- United loanee Tahith Chong provides assist in Club Brugge win
- Harry Maguire raves about Luke Shaw’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial’s performance
- Pep Guardiola praises United’s display
- Solskjaer says Shaw and Martial nearly did not start against City
- United fans react to Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s performance
- Dean Henderson draws praise from Graeme Souness
- Eric Bailly posts amusing message to Harry Maguire after United win