Alejandro Garnacho scores first goals for United's academy
Alejandro Garnacho scored two goals this week for Manchester United’s under-17 side, his first since joining the club last month from Atletico Madrid.
The Spanish teenager was part of an under-17 side taking on Wigan in the re-formatted Premier League Cup.
Garnacho scored two goals for United including this thunderbolt of a strike from the edge of the box which left the Latics ‘keeper with no chance.
United lost the game 3-2, a product of holding many eligible players back for the FA Youth Cup game tonight.
Wigan were knocked out of the Youth Cup by United in the quarter-finals.
United are still in the Premier League Cup despite the defeat, with the competition taking place in a group stage format. This was the first game, and Everton and Burnley make up the group.
Garnacho an exciting prospect
Garnacho signed this summer from Atletico, reportedly turning down an offer from Borussia Dortmund in the process, [Marca]
The youngster is said to idolise Cristiano Ronaldo and his stunner of a strike certainly had the hallmarks of many scored by the former United forward.
Garnacho, 16, has made two substitute appearances for the under-18s so far. This was his first competitive academy start, and a two-goal return is pretty impressive.
There is plenty of competition in the under-18s, with Charlie McNeill and Joe Hugill signing this summer, and Dillon Hoogewerf, Mateo Mejia and Noam Emeran all signing in 2019.
With United’s first team strikeforce packed with goals too, there is plenty of reason to be optimistic right now about the future.
- 95% Pass Accuracy, 2 Chances Created: £20m Ten Hag target shows why Manchester United are keen
- Photo: Marcus Rashford celebrates getting engaged
- Young duo who quit Manchester United 1 win away from clinching La Liga promotion
- Manchester United considering offer for £51m star who is heir to international champion
- Juan Mata pays tribute to Kath Phipps the Manchester United receptionist
- Manchester United eyeing 6ft 5 international with £17m release clause
- Manchester United star wants to stay, and now must prove he deserves to
- 4 Players who have played for Manchester United and Villarreal amid Pau Torres links
- 'Almost unique' midfielder perfect for Ten Hag, club fighting to keep him amid Manchester United links