Anthony Elanga is thriving at Manchester United and a call up to Sweden’s senior squad probably is not far away.
As Elanga rises to the first team, United already have an eye on another Swedish youngster, Lucas Bergvall.
Swedish outlet Fotboll Direkt report United plan to take Bergvall on trial at Carrington next month.
Bergvall plays in Brommapojkarna’s academy, the club where former United youngster Bojan Djordic began his career.
United’s Scandinavian scout Sergio De Souza is said to have watched Bergvall play several times, and the Red Devils now want to see him at close quarters.
Fotboll Direkt report: “He is ranked by many as Sweden’s most exciting young player.”
Brommapojkarna play in Sweden’s second tier and Bergvall has already made his first team debut as a substitute at the age of just 15 in November, with their promotion from the third tier already sealed.
Bergvall is a United supporter, who took to Instagram this week to celebrate Anthony Elanga’s role in United’s win.
There will be competition
United’s path to signing Bergvall is going to be complicated. Fotboll Direkt report top flight side AIK are also keen to sign him.
Then there is the pretty large obstacle of Brexit. This restricts United substantially, preventing the transfer of any non-UK citizen who is under 18.
However, with United inviting Bergvall on trial, and also set to bring in Polish talent Karol Borys for a trial next month, the club may have a plan.
It’s possible United could try to do a deal to sign either player and then loan them back to their clubs, or strike a deal with a feeder club abroad, to farm young talent out to on loan.
New proposed FIFA regulation capping loan players would only apply to over-21s, and so this would be permittable, providing United can find a partner club.
For now, it is clear United have not given up monitoring young talent from abroad simply due to Brexit, and thats a good thing. If either Borys or Bergvall impress, United will try and find a way to land them.
- Manchester United linked to five-times league winner with 50 international caps
- Casemiro sends message to Manchester United fans
- Italian press reaction to Rasmus Hojlund performance shows why Manchester United are interested
- Manchester United star showed at Wembley why £55m star is priority for Erik ten Hag
- Romano says Manchester United loanee has undergone medical ahead of summer switch elsewhere
- Manchester United’s £20m target warned Old Trafford move will come ‘too early’
- Manchester United to miss out as striker agrees bargain £25m transfer
- Manchester United ‘intensify’ talks with £35m ace after agent confirms interest
- £65m ace responds when asked if he’s joining Manchester United
- Casemiro hails Manchester United youngster as ‘great for the next 10 years’
- Anthony Elanga sends cryptic message to Fred which poses questions over both their futures