Manchester United’s Champions League campaign started with an agonising last-gasp 2-1 defeat away to Young Boys.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side took the lead through Cristiano Ronaldo in the 13th minute but United were reduced to 10-men when Aaron Wan-Bissaka was sent off in the 35th minute.
The hosts equalised in the 66th minute through Nicolas Ngamaleu, and the game looked all set to finish 1-1, but Jesse Lingard’s sloppy back pass in the 95th minute gifted Jordan Siebatcheu the winner.
Here are United’s three best players from their trip to Switzerland.
Playing alongside Donny van de Beek, Fred produced a dogged and industrious display at the heart of United’s midfield.
When United went down to ten men, United’s number 17 made sure he broke up the play and won the ball back for his side when the hosts continued to build pressure.
The Brazilian midfielder worked tirelessly before being brought off by Anthony Martial in the 89th minute.
Fred made four tackles and registered two interceptions (WhoScored) on his return to the side.
United’s number 18 produced an exquisite outside of the foot cross to enable Ronaldo to put us ahead.
It was the type of delivery that Ronaldo craved upon his return to the club and if Fernandes continues to provide that calibre of pass, Ronaldo’s goal tally is only going to go one way this season.
When United went down to 10 men, Fernandes dropped back to help his side and put in a selfless hardworking display.
After scoring his 135th Champions League goal on his 177 appearance, which matched Iker Casillas’ record for the number of appearances in Europe’s top club competition, Ronaldo would have hoped his side would go onto to win comfortably.
Similar to Fernandes, the 36-year-old was putting himself about for his team and making ball recoveries to lead from the front.
With the Portuguese duo looking on from the sidelines as Young Boys clinched victory in the dying stages, Ronaldo’s leadership will be crucial to lift the mood ahead of Sunday’s trip to West Ham United.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures
- Should Solskjaer start Jesse Lingard against Aston Villa and how would he fit in?
- Three players linked with Manchester United transfer moves this week
- Two Manchester United players have turned Cristiano Ronaldo deal from luxury to necessity
- Two Manchester United academy players react after meeting Ronaldo for the first time