Paul Pogba made his first Manchester United appearance in 2020 last night and it was pretty impressive.
United wanted to ease Pogba in, and brought him on in the 62nd minute. This wasn’t a cruise for the Frenchman, he had a big job to do with the team trailing 1-0.
He got stuck right into his task and started to pick apart the Tottenham defence, even with Jose Mourinho clearly instructing his players to deny the United midfielder any space on the ball.
Pogba provided the game-changing moment when he picked up the ball wide on the right and ran at Eric Dier, who haplessly brought him down and conceded a penalty.
What we asked for
We wanted to see Pogba make a difference and he did exactly that. He almost won us the game too, setting Marcus Rashford free out on the left with a sensational pass, which he did not make the most of.
Pogba made a compelling case to start United’s next match, and there will be a lot of unhappy fans if he is on the bench at Old Trafford on Wednesday.
It is important to get the balance right with him and Bruno Fernandes, but United are just so much more dangerous with both players on the pitch.
Pogba was tidy in possession, completing 94 per cent of his passes, and was enjoyable to watch, giving United a directness which Fred did not provide.
The World Cup winner has the ability to take United to a new level, and it was great to see him fit again and showing his quality.
Here is a look at how United fans savoured Pogba’s comeback…
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s record like against Chelsea?
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea