Paul Pogba made his first Manchester United appearance in 2020 last night and it was pretty impressive.
United wanted to ease Pogba in, and brought him on in the 62nd minute. This wasn’t a cruise for the Frenchman, he had a big job to do with the team trailing 1-0.
He got stuck right into his task and started to pick apart the Tottenham defence, even with Jose Mourinho clearly instructing his players to deny the United midfielder any space on the ball.
Pogba provided the game-changing moment when he picked up the ball wide on the right and ran at Eric Dier, who haplessly brought him down and conceded a penalty.
What we asked for
We wanted to see Pogba make a difference and he did exactly that. He almost won us the game too, setting Marcus Rashford free out on the left with a sensational pass, which he did not make the most of.
Pogba made a compelling case to start United’s next match, and there will be a lot of unhappy fans if he is on the bench at Old Trafford on Wednesday.
It is important to get the balance right with him and Bruno Fernandes, but United are just so much more dangerous with both players on the pitch.
Pogba was tidy in possession, completing 94 per cent of his passes, and was enjoyable to watch, giving United a directness which Fred did not provide.
The World Cup winner has the ability to take United to a new level, and it was great to see him fit again and showing his quality.
Here is a look at how United fans savoured Pogba’s comeback…
- Gary Neville impressed by Edinson Cavani’s movement in the box
- Three dilemmas facing Manchester United ahead of Paris Saint-Germain clash
- Tahith Chong’s loan spell is yet to really get off the ground
- Manchester United have shown faith in Hannibal Mejbri, now it’s over to him
- PSG suffer double injury blow ahead of United clash
- Donny van de Beek passes Manchester United test with flying colours
- Manchester United top scorers 2020/21
- Manchester United assist leaders 2020/21
- Manchester United under-23 top scorers 2020/21