Manchester United scrapped to a win over Brighton which was barely deserved.
Bruno Fernandes’ injury time penalty gave us three much-needed points to kickstart our season.
Not many players came out of the match able to say they played strong games from start to finish.
Marcus Rashford scored a dazzling individual goal, but also saw two United goals ruled out because he could not stay onside.
Bruno Fernandes scored the late penalty and provided an assist, but also gave away a spot kick at the other end.
The player who had the most consistent game throughout was probably Nemanja Matic, who provided the assist for United’s first goal.
Matic = wins
Nemanja Matic has now started two games for United this season and the team have won them both.
The match he missed, we lost 3-1. It is not a coincidence. United are simply a better team when he is in it.
Matic made four tackles in midfield and two interceptions, also blocking one shot on goal.
He gave United composure when it was needed, making 66 passes, more than any midfielder on the team.
He will probably get a rest when United face Brighton again in the cup in midweek.
But when the big league game at home to Spurs comes around next Sunday, Matic is a locked in starter.
Here is a look at how fans reacted to Matic’s performance…
- Manchester United fans react to Facundo Pellistri’s under-23s debut
- Tuanzebe could prove Manchester United don’t need Upamecano when they clash
- Facundo Pellistri features as Manchester United U23s secure dramatic late win
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Chelsea
- United won’t break the bank to keep Paul Pogba
- Manchester United could finally get to start defensive trio together this weekend
- Rojo and Williams set to make under-23 appearance along with Pellistri
- Neville names Fernandes in all-time best United foreign XI
- Solskjaer expects United trio to be ready to play v Chelsea
- Anthony Martial must take the positives from a negative start to the season