Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports
Patience is a key word for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Manchester United rebuild. Since the summer of 2019, the United boss has slowly been adding key players to his team.
Solskjaer waited and waited to finally get Jadon Sancho, and with a little more paitence until next summer, he may eventually land Erling Haaland.
One club who are not patient is Chelsea. That has been seen with their constant manager changes through the years. Now they appear to be dropping out of the Erling Haaland race after pursuing him all summer.
ESPN reported Chelsea were willing to offer £100 million plus Tammy Abraham to Borussia Dortmund for the Norwegian striker. Some reports suggested they could offer even more.
But after Haaland shot Chelsea down last week, quoted by The Standard: “I hope they are just rumours, as €175million [around £150m] would be a lot of money for one person.”
Instead of waiting a year and making a cheaper investment or backing their current stars, with the aim of paying Haaland’s £60 million release clause in 2022, Chelsea appear to be taking themselves out of the running entirely by blowing their money on Romelu Lukaku, who they sold seven years ago.
Chelsea clearing the path for Haaland
This is great news for United, as it removes Chelsea from the Erling Haaland sweepstakes next summer.
City appear to be focusing on Harry Kane, and while both clubs could theoretically afford Haaland too, they would not create the problem of having two huge strikers on their books and further add to their wage bills.
Liverpool are unlikely to pay up for Haaland, hopefully, while Real Madrid appear focused on Kylian Mbappe. Bayern Munich are less likely to get involved due to Mino Raiola.
Barcelona will not be able to afford a move, and so PSG will be left as United’s main competitors if Mbappe goes, but they could be just as likely to chase a big name and bring Cristiano Ronaldo to France.
United already have two big advantages thanks to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who Haaland worked with at Molde, and winger Jadon Sancho, who Haaland said he was sad to see leave Dortmund this summer, and the pair have since exchanged messages.
With this in mind, United could have beaten Chelsea to Haaland anyway, but the path becomes undeniably easier with the Blues out of the running.
United will have to deal with Lukaku in the meantime and make sure we qualify for the Champions League next year. At present though, it is all looking like United have a strong chance for Haaland next summer. A report from the MEN this past week backed the Dortmund forward as United’s preferred option in 2022.
Haaland has 40 goals in 43 Bundesliga games since joining Dortmund, and 20 goals in 16 career Champions League matches.
United fans have reacted positively to hearing Chelsea’s potential move for Romelu Lukaku…
- Like Haaland: Van Dijk names 'quick' Manchester United striker target as one of his toughest opponents
- Manchester United keeping track of 'huge talent' Kouadio Kone
- Amazing unseen footage emerges of Manchester United's 1999 Treble win
- Prolific striker Ralf Rangnick wanted at Manchester United scores 6 goals in one game
- 'I know'… Club chief speaks out over 34-goal Manchester United target amid 'official offer' claims
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee hits the gym ahead of important summer
- 39-year-old Manchester United man announces retirement from professional football
- 5 Italian players that played for Manchester United amid links with £51m former Atalanta man
- 'I blame the Glazers': Neville says Manchester United should have axed figure years ago
- Manchester United must target £30m 'best in Eredivisie' DM, wore Red Devils shirt in 2021
- Manchester United Champions League winner hailed £43m target as 'fantastic player'