David de Gea saved a penalty and secured Manchester United a win with injury time heroics against West Ham.
A late penalty award for a Luke Shaw handball seemed to set West Ham up to score a late equaliser.
West Ham boss David Moyes sent on preferred penalty taker Mark Noble just to take the spot-kick, and he missed.
Noble’s penalty was saved by David de Gea, and what a moment it was.
Redemption for De Gea
Saving penalties has been a weak point for De Gea in recent years.
This was his first save since 2016 when he saved from Romelu Lukaku in the FA Cup.
His penalty record came under the spotlight after the Europa League final in which United lost in a shootout.
De Gea conceded all 11 penalties and then missed his own, a total nightmare.
This was the first penalty De Gea had faced since the unhappy late May night in Gdansk.
He dived to his left and got a strong hand on Noble’s penalty to keep it out.
This save kept the score at 2-1, ensuring Jesse Lingard’s late goal was the winner.
De Gea has had a fantastic start to the season and this save capped it off. He could be back to his best and it is great for his confidence that he is back to saving penalties, and a very important one.
Here is a look at how Manchester United fans reacted to De Gea’s save…
- United need Maguire to produce captain’s performance against Liverpool
- Luke Shaw will have to be at his best to nullify Mohamed Salah threat
- Rashford will be looking to maintain his goalscoring return against Liverpool
- What channel is Man United v Liverpool on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Mike Phelan sends rallying cry to Manchester United fans
- Brandon Williams plays first game in four weeks and it ends badly
- Zach Giggs plays in Manchester United under-18 win
- Matic expects Elanga to make the grade at United
- David de Gea praised by Manchester United legend Alex Stepney
- Solskjaer gives injury update on Raphael Varane