Whatever Manchester United’s first team can do, so can the under-23s, they showed last night.
United’s under-23s thrashed Derby County 6-2, after trailing 2-1.
The team are now up to fifth in the table, which is pretty impressive considering an up and down campaign.
Anthony Elanga set the ball rolling against Derby, scoring in the first minute.
Ethan Galbraith, Shola Shoretire, Omari Forson all scored in between, before Elanga and then Shoretire each added a second.
Elanga’s second goal was particularly good, dribbling inside the box after being played in by Forson, beating two opponents before shooting low into the net.
This was Elanga’s best game since his return from a collarbone injury which forced him out of action for three months in early January.
Elanga’s double against Derby means he is now United’s top goalscorer for the under-23s this season, including EFL Trophy games.
He is on 11 goals, overtaking Joe Hugill on 10 (who also has six for the under-18s), while Shola Shoretire’s brace also took him up to 10 goals.
Elanga’s productivity is all the more impressive considering he missed time with injury.
Against Derby he also provided an assist, his fourth of the season, taking his total goal contributions to 15 this campaign.
Elanga was recently called up into United’s first team squad for the Europa League ties with Granada, and has trained with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad.
His performance on Monday night was exactly what Solskjaer will have been looking for.
There could be a chance for Elanga to make his debut before the end of the season, if United wrap up Champions League qualification early.
With United needing left sided alternatives to Marcus Rashford, to rest the England star, Elanga could be the perfect candidate.
United supporters loved seeing Elanga show what he is capable of. Here is a look at some of the reaction to his performance…
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game
- Fred sends message after winning first Brazil call since 2018