Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw is the physically strongest player in the England squad, according to teammate Reece James.
Chelsea defender James made the comments in an interview with the FA’s Lion’s Den YouTube channel.
James was asked in a Q&A to name the England player who would win a strength test. He responded by picking out Luke Shaw.
He said: “Luke Shaw is strong. They (Mings, Maguire) are definitely strong but Luke is a beast, a brick.
“If there’s one guy I play against that I know is going to be strong, it’d definitely be him.”
Back in the line-up
Shaw started for England against Scotland in the Euro 2020 clash on Friday.
This was his first tournament game for England since World Cup 2014 against Costa Rica. Both matches finished 0-0.
Shaw likely did enough to keep his place against Czech Republic on Tuesday night, although you never quite know with Gareth Southgate.
There likely will be some changes after a disappointing attacking display by the Three Lions.
It could benefit Shaw if Marcus Rashford is selected from the start so they can try and use their club partnership on the left hand side. Harry Maguire is also an option to return if finally passed fit.
One man who has not been able to keep quiet about Luke Shaw is former United boss Jose Mourinho.
Mourinho told talkSPORT: “I found a boy after an incredible injury that put his career at risk. A boy with some fears and scars from that awful night. I push players to the limit and sometimes players aren’t ready to follow me in that mentality. We had good periods, he’s a player with lots of talent. I think that’s one of the reasons why he’s playing.”
Mourinho’s criticism of Shaw at the time did not help the player. And his acknowledgement that the defender was fragile after his serious injury makes his actions more questionable. Even if he felt it was the right action at the time, now is the moment for Mourinho to finally drop it.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad