Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
Manchester United have signed under-18s defender Logan Pye to a professional contract.
Pye joined United last summer from Sunderland as part of a double move with Joe Hugill.
Pye was just 16 at the time, and while he turned 17 in October, he has now signed a professional deal.
The teenager posted to Instagram to mark the big moment, hailing it as a proud day.
What does Pye offer Manchester United?
The 17-year-old is a left-back who has already represented England at youth level.
When he was just 16 he played for Manchester United’s under-21 side in the EFL Trophy against Rochdale.
Last season his season was halted by injury in early January. He had played 10 under-18 games and did not feature from February onwards in the league, although he did return for a FA Youth Cup match in March.
In his 10 games, Pye provided two assists, and United won eight of them.
Pye is now fit again, featuring for Manchester United’s under-23 side in the 5-1 midweek friendly victory over Stalybridge Celtic.
One of the difficulties Pye faces is that United brought in Alvaro Fernandez last summer too, from Real Madrid, and he made a strong impression, going onto provide five assists at under-23 level.
For now there are enough opportunities to go around, and Pye could flit between the under-18s and under-23s this season.
The young defender is well advanced physically for his age and it is possible United consider playing him at centre-back if there is a shortage of options, and cover on the left. But last season all of his appearances came at left-back.
- Manchester United eyeing 6ft 5 international with £17m release clause
- Manchester United star wants to stay, and now must prove he deserves to
- 4 Players who have played for Manchester United and Villarreal amid Pau Torres links
- 'Almost unique' midfielder perfect for Ten Hag, club fighting to keep him amid Manchester United links
- 25-year-old transfer target ready to leave for 'first rate project', including Manchester United
- Manchester United looking to hire new first team coach for Ten Hag's staff, departures expected, predicted candidate
- Fabrizio Romano says 34-goal Manchester United target will '100 per cent' leave this summer
- Photo: 17-year-old Youth Cup winning midfielder signs first Manchester United contract
- Ten Hag has already explained why triple snub is a major boost to Manchester United trio
- 27 goals in 37 games: Former Manchester United loanee can't stop scoring and wins award
- Erik Ten Hag has already received an unwanted lesson after just 24 hours at Manchester United