Manchester United have signed under-18s defender Logan Pye to a professional contract.
Pye joined United last summer from Sunderland as part of a double move with Joe Hugill.
Pye was just 16 at the time, and while he turned 17 in October, he has now signed a professional deal.
The teenager posted to Instagram to mark the big moment, hailing it as a proud day.
What does Pye offer Manchester United?
The 17-year-old is a left-back who has already represented England at youth level.
When he was just 16 he played for Manchester United’s under-21 side in the EFL Trophy against Rochdale.
Last season his season was halted by injury in early January. He had played 10 under-18 games and did not feature from February onwards in the league, although he did return for a FA Youth Cup match in March.
In his 10 games, Pye provided two assists, and United won eight of them.
Pye is now fit again, featuring for Manchester United’s under-23 side in the 5-1 midweek friendly victory over Stalybridge Celtic.
One of the difficulties Pye faces is that United brought in Alvaro Fernandez last summer too, from Real Madrid, and he made a strong impression, going onto provide five assists at under-23 level.
For now there are enough opportunities to go around, and Pye could flit between the under-18s and under-23s this season.
The young defender is well advanced physically for his age and it is possible United consider playing him at centre-back if there is a shortage of options, and cover on the left. But last season all of his appearances came at left-back.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures