Timothy Fosu-Mensah’s time at Manchester United is at an end.
The club’s official website confirmed the Dutchman’s exit on a permanent deal.
We wrote earlier this week how this is the right move for Fosu-Mensah, who leaves the club with unfulfilled potential.
Leverkusen are delighted with the move. Both their manager and sporting director talked up the transfer.
Sporting director Simon Rolfes told Leverkusen’s official website: “Timothy Fosu-Mensah is a technically gifted, fast and physically strong defender who can play both as a right back as well as in the centre.
“With this signing, we have not only gained another top alternative in defence given the absence of Santiago Arias and Mitchell Weiser. Tim is still young and has potential. He will help us over the long term.”
His comments were backed by former German international Rudi Voller, the club’s managing director.
Voller said: “Timothy Fosu-Mensah meets our requirements. He has gained lots of experience in the Premier League since 2017 and has the footballing quality to help us achieve our targets.”
Fosu-Mensah has a chance to kick on
Fosu-Mensah said he has spoken to coach Peter Bosz several times already.
Bosz is the former manager of Ajax, where United signed Fosu-Mensah from in 2015.
This is a good move for him as he is joining a club in a top European league who want to give him a chance to develop.
He will wear the same number 24 shirt at Leverkusen that he has now vacated at United.
Fosu-Mensah made three appearances for United this season and 30 in total for the club.
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap