Timothy Fosu-Mensah’s time at Manchester United is at an end.
The club’s official website confirmed the Dutchman’s exit on a permanent deal.
We wrote earlier this week how this is the right move for Fosu-Mensah, who leaves the club with unfulfilled potential.
Leverkusen are delighted with the move. Both their manager and sporting director talked up the transfer.
Sporting director Simon Rolfes told Leverkusen’s official website: “Timothy Fosu-Mensah is a technically gifted, fast and physically strong defender who can play both as a right back as well as in the centre.
“With this signing, we have not only gained another top alternative in defence given the absence of Santiago Arias and Mitchell Weiser. Tim is still young and has potential. He will help us over the long term.”
His comments were backed by former German international Rudi Voller, the club’s managing director.
Voller said: “Timothy Fosu-Mensah meets our requirements. He has gained lots of experience in the Premier League since 2017 and has the footballing quality to help us achieve our targets.”
Fosu-Mensah has a chance to kick on
Fosu-Mensah said he has spoken to coach Peter Bosz several times already.
Bosz is the former manager of Ajax, where United signed Fosu-Mensah from in 2015.
This is a good move for him as he is joining a club in a top European league who want to give him a chance to develop.
He will wear the same number 24 shirt at Leverkusen that he has now vacated at United.
Fosu-Mensah made three appearances for United this season and 30 in total for the club.
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans ahead of semi-final second leg
- Ruben Neves should be Manchester United’s number one midfield target
- Manchester United fans react to fixture pile-up
- Brandon Williams is in-demand and a loan move looks essential
- No free pass for Murtough on United transfers as revolution gathers pace
- New Manchester United v Liverpool date set, final fixtures confirmed
- Former United defender Rafael takes aim at both PSG and City after Champions League semi-final
- Elanga included in United’s squad for Roma, James out injured
- Solskjaer admits he still doesn’t know whether Greenwood will be a striker or winger
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In trailer looks amazing, where can you watch the film?