Julen Lopetegui and Laurent Blanc among surprise candidates to replace Solskjaer
Manchester United are now frantically exploring options to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The MEN report Solskjaer will be sacked, and Darren Fletcher could take caretaker role.
United need a quick solution, and options are being looked at. The Times reports Zinedine Zidane remains a top target.
Who else is on the radar?
Erik Ten Hag, Brendan Rodgers, and Mauricio Pochettino are names listed by The Athletic who are on United’s radar, but also difficult because they are attached to current positions.
These are names which like Zidane, who have been circulating for the past three weeks.
There are two intriguing names being considered, The Athletic report.
One of these is Sevilla manager Julen Lopetegui. He currently has Sevilla top of La Liga, and has been at the club since 2019, knocking United out of the Europa League semi-finals on way to winning the trophy in 2020.
Lopetegui had a short stint as Real Madrid manager and also previously managed Spain, winning titles too with Porto.
The second surprise name on United’s shortlist is former Manchester United defender Laurent Blanc.
It is claimed Blanc is being considered as a ‘interim’ option rather than as a permanent manager.
Blanc previously managed PSG, but left club in 2016 after three years in charge. Blanc managed Edinson Cavani during his time in Paris.
After a spell out of the game, he took up a post as manager of Qatari side Al Rayyan last year. They sit just seventh in their league.
Given that he is just being considered as an interim option, it seems like Blanc is just being considered as a back-up plan, in case any of United’s top options can’t be lured now.
It is possible if United wait until next summer, for when a preferred candidate may become available, then an interim boss could work. So long as United don’t fall into the Solskjaer trap.
- A look at the last 8 Dutch managers to have managed in the Premier League following Ten Hag's arrival
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag
- De Gea and McTominay lead reaction as Manchester United goalkeeper celebrates reaching Wembley
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes