Juan Mata was Manchester United's unsung hero in win over West Ham
Juan Mata’s quality as a squad player was one again in evidence for Manchester United at the weekend.
The Spaniard’s introduction was the spark which got United back into the game, even if many of the plaudits went elsewhere.
Mata came on for the largely ineffective Anthony Martial in the 62nd minute as United’s third and final substitution with the team 1-0 down.
Just six minutes later United were 2-1 up. Mata then sealed the win with a sensational through ball for Marcus Rashford to score United’s third goal in the 78th minute.
Mata’s scything pass showed his combination of vision and execution at it’s best.
This was his third assist of the season. Only Marcus Rashford (4) and Bruno Fernandes (6) have managed more so far.
He has a part to play
Mata’s best performance of the season came in United’s win away over Newcastle.
He has started four league games this season and while he has reverted back to a bench role, he is still capable of moments of magic.
Mata meshes well with Bruno Fernandes; their quality benefits each other.
While Fernandes takes up the attention of opponents who try and often fail to stop him, Mata can get into space undetected and pick out passes for the attackers.
Against West Ham he only managed 20 touches, but it was enough for him to positively influence the game.
Solskjaer’s decision to bring Martial off and Mata on benefited the team positively, with Mason Greenwood able to move into a more central role.
Mata won’t start in Leipzig in midweek, but he could well have a big part to play.
It is not long ago since his starring substitute role against FC Copenhagen in the Europa League which turned the quarter-final.
United have five substitutes available in midweek and Mata showed once again he is capable of influencing matches, especially late on when they get frenetic and tactics begin to break down.
It would not be a surprise to see Solskjaer call on him if United need a goal late on in Germany.
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure
- Triple sale would be a ruthless way for Erik ten Hag to start Manchester United's summer