Jose Mourinho refuses to let it go. Even despite an impressive performance for England against Czech Republic, he continues to take a pop at Luke Shaw.
The Manchester United defender was his usual impressive self, and won plaudits from supporters who lauded his performance as ‘sensational’.
Mourinho was not so easily swayed. He found a way to poke holes in Shaw’s performance, criticising his corner taking.
The former United boss told The Sun: “England has so much power in guys like Stones, Mings, Maguire and Kane but the crosses are not passing the first man. Luke Shaw had a good game but his deliveries were not very good, and Kalvin Phillips.”
England’s top chance creator
Shaw actually managed to create two chances, more than any England player.
So far in the tournament, Shaw has created more chances than any England player despite starting only two matches as opposed to three.
Mourinho’s comments typify why his relationship with Shaw broke down.
He finds reason to criticise and is happy to do so. Shaw grew tired of Mourinho’s constant jabs during his time at United.
While there is always room to improve, Mourinho should be acknowledging the growth in Shaw’s game.
Corner taking is a trait Shaw has added to his weaponry over the past 12 months and he did not do it during Mourinho’s time at United. It has been productive for him too, and is one of the reasons why he was in the top five players in the Premier League for chances created last season.
Sooner or later Mourinho needs to let this criticism go. Shaw has kept two clean sheets and is contributing at both ends of the pitch. The former United boss is just looking increasingly bitter with his constant jabs at the England international.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad