Heartbreaking debut at Hull for Manchester United loanee Di'Shon Bernard
Di’Shon Bernard does not have much luck when it comes to debuts.
He made his Manchester United debut in 2019 against Astana and while he played well, he managed to deflect a shot in for an own goal.
Last night he made his debut for loan side Hull City and it was a night he will remember for the wrong reasons.
Bernard started the Carabao Cup fixture, having been left on the bench for Hull’s Championship opener at the weekend.
The Manchester United defender acquitted himself well, coming close to scoring from a corner, but he was the unlucky fall guy when the game went to penalties.
The regular time against Wigan finished 1-1, before Hull lost 8-7 in the shootout. Bernard missed the decisive spot kick and it never looked close to going in.
Somebody had to miss…
Bernard’s penalty was poor, but somebody had to miss and there is no blame that should be put on the 29-year-old’s shoulders.
The young centre-back is more used to trying to stop goals than score them, and this will be a valuable learning experience for him.
Bernard went up against former United academy player Will Keane, who started up front for Wigan.
PA’s Simon Peach described Bernard’s performance as a ‘gutting end to what was an impressive City debut’.
Bernard even had a chance to win the game in the second half, and spare his side and himself the penalty heartbreak.
Bernard featured in pre-season for Manchester United and played well in the brief minutes he was given.
Last season he was on loan at League Two side Salford City, and he is making a big jump up to Championship level with Hull.
While he will have to battle to get into the side, his performance last night, penalty aside, will have done his cause a favour.
And unlike his experience with United against Astana, where he went back into the under-23s, Bernard will get more first team chances for Hull to immediately bounce back and not dwell on his moment of misfortune.
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars