England v Scotland: Two Manchester United stars have scored for Three Lions v Scotland in last 25 years
England take on Scotland tonight at Wembley in a rare tournament clash between the two countries.
Up to four Manchester United stars could be involved in the match. These include three England players, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, and Marcus Rashford.
Rashford is the only one to feature at Euro 2020 so far, but Shaw and Maguire are both in contention to make the starting line-up tonight.
On the Scotland side, Scott McTominay is expected to start, having featured in their opening game defeat.
A win for England will book a place in the Euro 2020 knockout stages, after a 1-0 opening victory over Croatia.
Speaking ahead of the game, Rashford told the club website: “It’s going to be a different experience for us but it’s definitely one I’m proud of.”
He also added: “
Sir Alex will definitely be upset [if England win] – he’s a passionate guy, we have to do our best to try to win the game.”
Manchester United stars in previous England v Scotland clashes
England’s last tournament match against Scotland was also at Wembley a Euro ’96.
Manchester United star Gary Neville played a key role, delivering a cross to provide the assist for Alan Shearer’s opening goal.
Back in 1999, Paul Scholes broke Scottish hearts with a brace at Hampden Park in a Euro 2000 qualifying play-off.
This was arguably Scholes’ finest performance for England, netting both goals in a 2-0 victory. England lost the second leg 1-0 but won on aggregate.
England also beat Scotland in 2016 in World Cup qualifying. Wayne Rooney provided an assist in a 3-0 victory.
Rashford also featured in a 2-2 draw in 2016, with Chris Smalling also among the starters for England.
While Neville and Rooney delivered assists for England against Scotland, one other United player joins Scholes in scoring against the Auld Enemy.
That player was Danny Welbeck, who scored in England’s 3-2 friendly win in 2013, while he was still a United player.
Going further back
Sir Alex Ferguson once managed Scotland against England in 1986. This was a friendly match at Wembley which England won 2-1.
Bryan Robson scored for England against Scotland in 1983, in a 2-0 win in the now defunct British Home Championship.
The last Manchester United player to score for Scotland against England was Denis Law, in a 3-2 victory for them back in 1967.
Bobby Charlton scored for England v Scotland numerous times. He did so in a 4-3 win in 1966, a 2-2 draw in 1965. He also featured in a 9-3 win in 1961 although surprisingly was not among the goalscorers.
- Manchester United star says he can't relax this summer due to Ten Hag arrival
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals